The 50th Anniversary Is Here
From Oct. 1, Disney World will celebrate the 50th anniversary of the park opening.
This has noticeably increased demand for hotels, park pass reservations and pretty much everything related to Disney World. With Remys Ratatouille Adventure, a much anticipated new attraction at Epcot, debuting on Oct. 1, and the normal crowds for the Food & Wine Festival, expect Epcot to be even more crowded than normal.
All the parks will have celebrations going on for the golden anniversary. The Magic Kingdom has received a castle makeover ahead of the big date. But dont worry if now is not the time for you to head to Disney the celebration is scheduled to last into 2023.
Since park pass reservations are already in a sold-out state for the start of the celebration, you may want to wait a bit if youre trying to avoid crowds and increased pricing on hotels.
Disney’s Blizzard Beach And Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Parks
Guests can plunge into a world of themed water fun. Challenge Summit Plummet. Snorkel with sharks in Shark Reef. Zoom down side-by-side racing slides. Or, float leisurely down a meandering river. For thrills or just chilling out, a day in a Walt Disney World Water Park is watery fun for one of the most popular theme parks in Florida.
List Of Incidents At Walt Disney World
This is a summary of notable incidents that have taken place at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The term “incidents” refers to major injuries, deaths, loss , or significant crimes related to the attractions themselves, or personal altercations and incidents between the theme park guests and employees. Attraction-related incidents usually fall into one of the following categories:
- Negligence on the parks part, either by ride operator or maintenance.
- Negligence on the guests partthis includes refusal to follow specific ride safety instructions, or deliberate intent to break park rules.
- The result of a guest’s known or unknown health issues.
- Acts of God, which include generic accidents that are not the direct result of an action on anyone’s part.
According to a 1985 Time magazine article, nearly 100 lawsuits are annually filed against Disney for various incidents. Florida theme parks are required to notify the state of any ride-related injuries or illnesses that require a hospital stay of at least 24 hours.
Don’t Miss: Book Trip To Disney World
The Most Amazing Pools At Disney World Resorts
We independently research, test, review, and recommend the bestproductslearn more about our process. If you buy something through our links, we may earn a commission.
Walt Disney Parks
Did you hear the one about the kid whose favorite thing about Disney World was the hotel swimming pool? The old cliché holds a lot of truth children just love to play in the water and the highly themed pools at Disney World Resorts are nothing short of tremendous.
While every pool at Disney World is pretty wonderful, here are a few of the best:
Booking The Right View
One of the first decisions youll encounter when booking your Disney World trip is which view to book at your resort. Some resorts have only 1 or 2 views to choose from other resorts have more than 10.
A view is essentially a guaranteed type of room. Once you book it, you know thats what youll have on your trip.
Some suggestions on booking views:
- At the Values and Moderates that offer it, I always recommend a Preferred Room to reduce the amount of walking youll have to do to get to the main building
- If there are things you absolutely must have and theres a view for that, make sure you book it. Examples: king bed, bunk beds, etc.
Recommended Reading: Little Mermaid Resort Disney World
Explore Walt Disney World Resort In Orlando
Walt Disney World Resorts crown jewel is Magic Kingdom® Park, which offers some of Disneys most iconic attractions, magical encounters with beloved Disney characters, and special seasonal events like Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party. At Disneys EPCOT®, explore Earths past, present and future and enjoy annual celebrations like falls EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival and springs EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival.
Mother Nature takes center stage at Disneys Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, which will transport you to some of the most remote locations on the planet without leaving Orlando. Then, its time for lights, camera and plenty of action at Disneys Hollywood Studios®, Disney’s stunning salute to movies.
Speaking of Disneys Hollywood Studios, for the first time ever, theres a place where you can live your very own Star Wars story, from flying the Millennium Falcon to getting caught in a battle between the First Order and the Resistance, only at Star Wars: Galaxys Edge. And now, the wackiest, silliest train trip ever is ready to take you through the cartoon world and Mickey & Minnies first ride-through attraction in Disney Parks history. When Mouse Rules apply, anything can happen aboard Mickey & Minnies Runaway Railway!
And Disney fans, take note: The Walt Disney World Resort 50th anniversary gala, The Worlds Most Magical Celebration, is underway!
Orlando’s Only Official Website
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- On November 1, 2014, falling embers from the Wishes fireworks show landed on the artificial grass exterior of the ride, causing a fire near the bridge that the coaster travels on just before entering the mine. This caused the ride and the area around it to be evacuated. There were no injuries reported and the ride reopened later that evening.
- On November 5, 2000, a 37 year old man from St. Petersburg, Florida was fatally injured while trying to exit the ride vehicle while it was moving. He told fellow passengers that he felt ill and attempted to reach one of the attraction’s marked emergency exits. He was struck by the following ride vehicle and died at Celebration Hospital.
- On August 2, 2020, one of the log flume boats began to sink underwater. In a video shown on Twitter, a cast member can be heard telling guests not to exit the vehicle because standing on a platform on the side of the ride poses a “safety hazard.”
Recommended Reading: Guest Services Walt Disney World
Beach Club Resort And Villas
The information below is for the Beach Club Resort, not the Villas. Ill add the Villas info when I have a complete list of the online check-in options available there.
Here are your room choices at the Beach Club:
- Standard View
|Newport Presidential Suite||X|
King bedDaybeds.Room location.
- About half of the rooms have full balconies and the rest have tiny Juliet balconies. Id highly recommend requesting a full balcony in the online check-in.
- Stormalong Bay is a large, popular pool area and it can be loud. If quiet is important, consider requesting a Garden View.
- Although Illuminations cant really be viewed well outside of Epcot, you can catch glimpses from some Garden View rooms on higher floors.
Best Disney World Hotels For An Extra
Here are 13 of the best Disney World hotels for every budget and travel style.
When Disney World first opened 50 years ago, the resort had just one theme park and two hotels. Today, the massive resort complex is home to more than 20 themed Walt Disney World hotels and four of the world’s most popular theme parks. With that in mind, planning a Disney World vacation might seem overwhelming, but don’t worry we’ve rounded up 13 of the best hotels near Disney World to help you get started.
Before you book a room, there are a few things you should know about Disney World hotels. Disney categorizes their on-site hotels and resorts as Deluxe, Deluxe Villas, Moderate, Value, and Campgrounds. All Disney resorts have benefits like complimentary transportation to the theme parks, early park entry, and of course, Disney-level theming and service. Deluxe properties tend to be the most expensive, the closest to the theme parks , and the most luxurious, and starting this fall, guests staying at a resort in the Deluxe category can enjoy extended nighttime hours in the theme parks, too. There are also area hotels that are not owned by Disney like the Four Seasons and Waldorf Astoria that offer some of the same perks found at Disney hotels.
From safari-inspired luxury hotels to guest-favorite properties celebrating 50 years of magical memories, here are 13 of the best Disney World hotels.
Related: More Disney vacations
Also Check: How Much Is It For Walt Disney World
Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- In 1990, OSHA fined the resort $1,000 after three performers were injured in three separate incidents.
- In one incident, a performer fell 30 feet when a restraining cable failed.
- In another incident, a performer fell 25 feet when a prop ladder unexpectedly collapsed.
- A third performer was pinned by a malfunctioning trap door. OSHA cited Disney for failing to provide adequate fall protection, including padding and other equipment.
- Later, while rehearsing a new, safer routine, another performer fell 25 feet onto concrete.
- In a rehearsal on August 17, 2009, a 30-year-old performer named Anislav Varbanov died after injuring his head while performing a tumbling roll. The next days performances were canceled out of respect for him.
Four Seasons Resort Orlando At Walt Disney World Resort
Tucked away in a picturesque residential setting, yet just a short drive from the Disney World theme parks, the Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort offers five-star luxury with upscale accommodations, an outstanding food and beverage program, and incredible amenities. The AAA Five Diamond resort has a beautifully landscaped family pool complex with waterslides and a lazy river, plus an adults-only pool oasis . From the calming spa to the Four Seasons Golf and Sports Club Orlando to the rooftop Capa steakhouse and lounge, adults will love the luxe amenities. Plus, the Kids for All Seasons program offers supervised children’s activities, so parents can enjoy some much-needed alone time. And there’s plenty on property for Disney fans, too, including a character breakfast, rooms with views of the theme parks and nightly fireworks, and perks like early entry to the Disney parks.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Book A Trip To Disney World
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- In February 2017, a 54 year old man died after riding the attraction. His cause of death was believed to be natural causes, as he had a pre-existing medical condition. Sheri Blanton from the Orange County Medical Examiner’s Office stated in an email that “the death did not appear to be one of cases, so the man likely had an attending physician who agreed to sign out the death certificate due to natural causes.” She further said, “If he had been under a doctor’s care and there was no trauma indicated, the medical examiner’s office would not be notified.” A Disney spokesperson said the ride was operating as normal.
Best Overall: Disneys Riviera Resort
Disneys Riviera Resort
Disney Worlds newest hotel has luxury amenities, buzzworthy dining, and easy access to the new Skyliner gondola transportation system.
Two pools and a splash pad
Some rooms with only Murphy beds
Less Disney feel
Inspired by Walt Disneys vacations to the South of France, Disneys Riviera Resort is the newest Walt Disney World hotel that opened towards the end of 2019. The hotels luxury feel starts the moment you walk into the gleaming white lobby with its view of the lake beyond and extends to the furthest corners of the resorts outdoor spaces, where youll find gorgeous inlaid murals of scenes from Disney movies like “Tangled.”But overall, the resort feels more like a luxury hotel than a Disney-themed one.
The smallest rooms are Tower Studios which feature pull-down queen Murphy beds and mini-kitchenettes, and the largest are three-bedroom suites with full kitchens and in-room washers and dryers. Three restaurants range from fine character dining at Topolinos Terrace, a rooftop restaurant that has views of the Hollywood Studios fireworks when theyre happening, to quick service at Primo Piatto and Bar Riva, the poolside bar serving small plates. By day, Le Petite Café is a coffee shop by night it becomes a cocktail lounge. Because Riviera has a Skyliner stop, this hotel has especially quick access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios on the new aerial gondola system.
Read Also: Best Disney World Hotel For Family Of 6
Rent Your Way To A Better Room
Alternatively, to save money, you can rent points from a Disney Vacation Club member to stay in a Deluxe Villa on-site at Disney World. Typically, you can do this at a Deluxe resort for the price of a reservation at a Moderate resort. The upsides are obvious. More space and a nicer room plus all the benefits of being on-site at Disney World, including the extended evening hours.
But while this can save you a bunch of cash, there are some potential downsides.
Since this is Disneys version of a timeshare, you wont receive full housekeeping services daily unless youre willing to pay extra. And renting Disney Vacation Club points typically restricts your ability to change or cancel your reservation without a significant penalty. You may have to work through an individual who owns DVC points to get your reservation confirmed, which requires a bit of trust. Some larger DVC rental services may give you a bit more comfort in the rental process.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
Start each day by greeting giraffes, zebras, and other animals when you stay at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. With an African safari feel, this resort offers an experience unlike anything found elsewhere in the United States. The Deluxe resort is located near Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park, but it feels like it’s part of the park thanks to the animal programs and savanna-view rooms. Other on-site amenities include themed pools and unique dining experiences showcasing African flavors.
You May Like: How Much Is Disney World Season Pass
Saving Time When The Sun Sets
Dont worry, there are opportunities for night owls as well.
One of the easiest ways to save time in the evening is to focus on the fireworks schedule. The crowds will gravitate toward the primary viewing areas, such as Main Street in Magic Kingdom, before the fireworks. That will thin some of the lines out.
Then, right as the fireworks start, the wait times on many rides will plummet. We scored a 15-minute wait on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, a ride where the wait can easily stretch an hour or two, this way.
Just before closing, hop in one final line. As long as you are in line before the official closing time, Disney lets you finish your wait and ride the attraction. The wait times in the My Disney Experience app are notoriously inaccurate around closing time, usually overestimating your wait time.
For the time being, Disney World will continue to offer a bit of late-night access for certain resort guests. Be sure to check if your resort qualifies and what dates and parks this is available for. The parks really clear out in the evening for dedicated hours like this and you can get in a ton of rides in just an hour or two.
If you want to map out your perfect day at Disney World, check out Touring Plans, an organization tool with a lot of free resources . We used Touring Plans for our crazy ride-every-ride-at-Disney World charity fundraiser. When you consider how much youre spending for your Disney vacation, the additional $17.95 to maximize your time can be a wise investment.
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
- On May 23, 1982, a 20 year old worker was standing near the ledge of the Fantasyland station when the Skyway started up she grabbed onto a seat and traveled 100 feet before a staff member stopped the ride. Some visitors climbed onto the roof of a nearby building, but couldnt reach her. She fell 15 feet to the roof, slid off, and dropped another 20 feet to the ground she injured her back but survived.
- On February 14, 1999, 65 year old part-time custodian was killed when he fell off a seat. He was cleaning the Fantasyland Skyway station platform when the ride was turned on by staff who were likely unaware that he was there. He was in the path of the ride vehicles and grabbed a passing seat in an attempt to save himself. He lost his grip, fell 40 feet , and landed in a flower bed near the Dumbo ride. He was dead on arrival at Orlando Regional Medical Center. The Skyway ride, which had been scheduled to be closed before the accident occurred, was permanently closed on November 10, 1999. As a result of the accident, OSHA fined Walt Disney World US$4,500 for violating federal safety codes in that work area. The incident echoed a similar incident at Disneyland Resort in 1994, when a 30 year old man fell 20 feet out of a Skyway cabin and subsequently attempted to sue Disney. In that case, however, the man later admitted that he had in fact jumped out of the ride, and the case was dismissed.
You May Like: 2 Day Base Ticket Disney World
Walt Disney World Resort Levels And Pricing: A Quick Guide
Are you trying to figure out Disney Resort Levels and Pricing so that you can make the best resort choice for your Disney vacation? The struggle is real, we totally get it. If you go too cheap you might miss out on something. But why go expensive when youll be in the parks all day anyway? While some of these decisions youll have to figure out on your own, we pulled together this quick guide so you know which resorts are in which pricing tier and what to expect at each level. As we review more resorts, well be sure to update this post so you can get the details to help you make the best choices.